Deventer City Guide
Wandering through charming streets, relaxing on the city beach along the Ijssel, and taking a break at one of the many hotspots in the city—Deventer is a delightful destination for a city trip. Last weekend, we decided last minute to explore Deventer with our camper. In just one day, I got a taste of this wonderful Hanseatic city. I’ll definitely go back again, but for now, I want to share the best tips in this City Guide with you.
What to do in Deventer
Did you know that Deventer is one of the oldest cities in the Netherlands? The city boasts numerous historical buildings, with the magnificent Lebuïnus Church standing out everywhere. The city’s maze of streets makes it perfect for delightful wandering. Check out all our tips:
- Take a guided city walk and learn more about the city’s history. A city walk takes about 1.5 hours and can be booked at the city’s VVV.
- Taste the authentic Deventer Koek at the Koekwinkel
- Visit the oldest weighhouse in the Netherlands: museum de waag and learn more about the city’s history.
- Taste the best beer in the city at DAVO Bierbrouwerij
- Enjoy the sunshine at the city beach along the IJssel.
- Stroll through the cozy streets of Het Bergkwartier. Tip! Don’t forget your camera.
- Climb the tower of the Lebuïnus Church.
- Visit the trendy Havenkwartier and Fooddock
Festivals in Deventer
When the weather allows, you can attend fun festivals here, such as the Dickens Festival. At the end of December, the city transforms into 19th-century England, where you can meet almost 1,000 characters from Dickens’ books. In summer, it’s time for Deventer op Stelten. The entire city is filled with outdoor theater and cabaret. Every first Sunday of August is dedicated to the book market.
Hotspots & food in DEventer
The most enjoyable terrace in the city where you can bask in the sunshine.
Well-filled salads and delicious sandwiches.
Charming beach tent on the city beach along the Ijssel.
For a delightful cup of coffee and lemon cake (though the lunch menu was a bit underwhelming).
Foedsie Followers’ Hotspots:
- Bij Yo (new)
- A Taste of Honey: for the tastiest cakes, lunch, or dinner
- Jackies: extensive dining
- Eigenwijs: lunch and coffee
- Piknik (Havenkwartier)
- Fooddock (Foodmarket)
- Oscar in the Bieb
- Sync Ok: Gluten-free and vegan food
- The Lemon Tree: luxury dining
- Het Bouwhuis: Fine art and fine food
- Oude Moster
Transportation in Deventer
The city is easily accessible by public transportation. If you choose to drive, we recommend parking your car at the ferry. It’s very affordable and very close.